Hello, I’m Jeni Hott, and I’ve spent the last 15 years known as “@brilliantjeni, that 7 figure blogger that never works.”
I’d say it didn’t happen overnight, but it kind of did, and it’s an inspiring story I share when I’m on stage, or interviewing for documentaries and podcasts.
Back in 2005, I made only $1300 for the year. It took me 2 years to become a 6 figure blogger, and another year to become the world’s first 7 figure blogger. It all happened at a shocking speed simply because of one thing: I had worked 18-24 hours a day in the first 6 months, and…. I lost the use of my hands.
Like, I was in agony when I wasn’t moving… but screaming if I did. I had dark purple and blue bruises from my palms going down my forearms. I couldn’t close my laptop, or pick up a glass of water. I literally lost the use of my hands.
Long story short, this forced me to focus and master one thing…. automation.
By 2008, I was reaching millions of people a month, prompting Google to come knocking on my door with a unique offer and declaring me to be the first 7 figure blogger and a top 1% highest earning internet marketer in the world.
When I hit $100,000 a month, I told myself I would automate for a full year and travel the world. I had the time of my life, enjoying the freedom to do whatever I wanted… so I continued to automate. That one year, turned into nearly 5 years, and I continued to make millions of dollars, while working only 3 or 4 times a year.
I have enjoyed more than 15 years of “semi retirement” periodically starting new 6-7 figure businesses in the online space. In 2022, I realized I had outgrown this, and felt it was time to share my knowledge and help others create a business and life they truly love.
I started JENIUS, a business school for early entrepreneurs ready to start their passive income business.
More about me…
You may have seen me speak, heard me on the radio, or know me from the documentary, “Living Dot Com,” where I was acknowledged for crossing $100k/month, and 100 million blog visits back in 2013- giving a little more clout to the blogging world.
For more than 20 years, I have created a variety of 6 and 7 figure online passive income businesses, while continuing to work only a few times a year and taking up to a year off.
My first online business was back in 1997… I hand-coded the ugliest AOL website and sold rare and exotic seeds successfully… well, enough to cover my college book expenses and some wild music concerts. It wasn’t until 2006, that I would explore this new thing called, “blogging.” The full story is here: How I started.
Out of necessity, I mastered my signature, “extreme automation strategies” which allowed me to scale my income to 7 figures, while traveling the world for nearly 5 years, living in Westins, and working only 3 or 4 times a year. The best gift though, was being able to work minimally, while focusing on being a mom for the first time. It is a lifestyle I am incredibly grateful for, and one that I truly enjoy helping others achieve.
- Recognized by Google as one of the most widely read bloggers on the web, with over 100 million visits to her blogs.
- Longtime collaborator with both Google America and Google Latin America on AdSense for testing and general insight.
- Considered to be the first truly successful blogger in the world, bringing new light to “blogging” in the business world.
- One of the highest earning bloggers in the world, for over 15 years.
- Known for humanitarian efforts and contribution.
- Featured in Living Dot Com documentary, and countless TV, radio, and podcast interviews, etc.
On a Personal Note…
When I’m not creating content, working with my team, or coaching students, you can find me at my favorite yoga studio, on a flight, boxing, beaching in the caymans, racing camels in Egypt, sitting with chieftains in Fiji, lost in the Pacific islands, sailing the Nile in a ballgown, driving race cars, exploring vineyards, hiking ruins in Mexico, or learning tango in Argentina.
I am living & loving the laptop lifestyle!
- I’m mother to an adorable little boy named London… who is already better at coding than me.
- I live by my family’s motto of many generations: “When work cuts into play, it’s time to cut out the work.” Hence my “Work less, play more” logo. I also “pay it forward” on the daily.
- My personality type is ENFJ – the humanitarian.
- I collect degrees for fun, and I’m currently working on my 2nd doctorate.
- I am THE social butterfly- I’m happiest surrounded by a few dozen of my closest friends.
- My ringtone has been the Pink Panther instrumental for nearly 15 years.
- I lost both my baby sister and 11 year old niece as a result of longterm domestic violence, and now support a number of related charities.
- I’m on my second passport. I’m absolutely travel-obsessed and love living abroad: I’ve lived in Mexico, Australia and the UK. I can wake up in the morning and spontaneously end up in Cabo that evening…. and then stay for a few months.
- I’m always looking for new things to try- Whether it’s unusual foods [bacon martinis (recommend), hairy pig-back (do not recommend), and dirty chips in Edinburgh (haggis on french fries). Jumping out of planes, boxing, or extreme water sports- I’ll pretty much try anything twice!
- Founder of The GBU Organization: To date, I have started 3 NonProfit organizations including upcoming, GBU; an organization that serves to unite bloggers for humanitarian causes, while also providing resources and ethical guidelines for a better blogosphere.